Apr 16 2014

Major blocker? OpenWomandriva

Hey there, we had a major blocker today discovered!

Sister of our release manager, Bero, has complaints, quoting Bero:

“There’s another major blocker we need to fix before releasing.

My sister is complaining that it’s evil to call a product openMANdriva, and she’d much rather use openWOMANdriva.

We absolutely need to make 2 releases with different names.

Obviously this includes changing all the artwork, and must be a blocker even for releasing a snapshot.”

Following the demands of users we start certain rebranding, check out our balloons, which will be flying around at LinuxTag:)

Balloon LinuxTagHallo zusammen, heute haben wir einen wichtigen Blocker entdeckt!

Die Schwester unseres Release Managers, Bero, beschwert sich. Bero zitiert:

“Es gibt noch einen anderen wichtigen Blocker, den wir vor der Veröffentlichung beheben müssen. Meine Schwester beschwert sich, dass es böse sei, ein Produkt openMANdrive zu nennen und sie würde openWOMANdriva bevorzugen. Wir müssen unbedingt 2 Veröffentlichungen mit unterschiedlichen Namen machen.

Es ist klar, dass das gesamte Artwort getauscht werden und dies ein Blocker sein muss, selbst für die Veröffentlichung eines Snapshots.”

Nach diesen Benutzeranfragen beginnen wir mit einem gewissen Rebranding, schaut euch unsere Ballons an, die auf dem Linuxtag herumfliegen werden.

Balloon LinuxTag

10 comments

Skip to comment form

• anonymous on April 17, 2014 at 4:24 pm

So you mean openMANdriva == evil
    OpenWOMANdriva =godly

Please do have some rexpect for men too….

1. OpenWhOMANdriva then ?

• anonymous on April 17, 2014 at 8:00 pm

dear vanier i have no issues in nameing your distro to openwomandriva or whole distribution to something else, its your distro you have every right to do that. i feel it is unacceptable to post offencive and hurting blogs like this….

isnt calling man as evil is a sexist and unnecessary comment.

there is lot of difference in saying “i like the of ditro was called ********* ” and
    ” it’s evil to call a product openMANdriva ”

it is worring to see that such a comment is appreciated and praised

• anonymous on April 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I do respect women my point was there was no necessity to insult men

• rugyada on April 18, 2014 at 7:25 am

@anonymous
    Please, read better. It’s our sister’s complaint, not our statement.
    OTOH our cousin doesn’t fully agree.

• anonymous on April 18, 2014 at 8:33 pm

dear rugyada

since you said read better let me explain what i understood from this post please educate me if i am wrong

bero sister considers or complains “it’s evil to call a product openMANdriva” (which i think is sexist please let me know if it is not)

So you are acting on her complain and you are creating other version of same distro with some cosmetic changes and with other name. (which implies you do ratify her view)

you may say we dont ratify her view if so i dont find any implication or any specific note in this regard?

once again let me be clear here i have high regards and respect to women. i do use linux mint in which every version is named after a woman. i dont find it evil or anything uncomfortable with that, even i dont have any issuses in having a seperate distro for women.

the fact that it done because the word openmandriva has the word man which some persons consider it as evil really bumped me………….

1. Please accept our apologies if it was not clear that the initial post is only a joke made by our devel team after having fought and successfully managed real blocker bugs.

• anonymous on April 19, 2014 at 4:43 am

sorry i dont mean to hurt anyone here

• Olivier Bézie on April 19, 2014 at 7:24 am

My womanager who by the way is a great womentor would be very keen to get a Openwomandriva distribution in her Womanhattan office. A big step to huwomanize the womankind (hmm I might get some nasty comment for this last one 🙂 )

Now let’s test the RC1 that I have just seen being released!

• Jeff on May 8, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I could make an off colour joke about now but in an effort to avoid needlesly affending anyone I will refrain from doing so. Name it what ever you want It’s all good and yes I did take the comment as nothing more then an off colour joke. Since if I understand right it will become a community based OS with perhaps a corparate bent I hope to see many spinoffs of Openmandriva Why not one just for women. It should be headed up by a Women though; why not your release managers sister?.

Comments have been disabled.